Each month Royal Design Studio stencils is including a FREE stencil with every order. For the month of February 2014 the free pattern is the African Protea Flower stencil. This Art Deco-inspired motif is perfect for craft stencil projects on furniture, fabric and more.
We’ve created a couple new DIY stencil how-to projects to get you inspired and on your way. First up? Stenciled pillow projects that you can easily do on store-bought pillows using Royal Design Studio’s metallic Stencil Creme Paints. Let’s get started….
Stencil Supplies for this project:
- Pillow covers (ours are black velvet and a cream colored silk fabric)
- Stencil Creme paints: Metallic Teal, Shimmer Pink, Lime Shine
- Stencil Brushes: 1″, 3/4″, 3/8″
- Measuring Tape, Striping Tape (find at an auto supply store), Paper Towels
Step-by-Step Stenciling Process:
- Gather your stencil supplies.
- Measure and mark out your pattern on your pillow. We did a formal, side-by-side grid pattern and used striping tape to mark out the lines.
- Center the African Protea Flower stencil in the gridded area. Use a 1″ stencil brush to stencil the main body of the flower in Metallic Teal Stencil Creme.
- Stencil the leaves of the flower with Lime Shine Stencil Creme using a 3/4″ brush and stencil the flower detail with a 3/8″ brush using Shimmer Pink.
- Remove the tape and insert the pillow form. Viola!
- For the off-white pillow form we stenciled a simple border pattern and alternated the direction of the flower so it has a lovely interlocking effect. The colors used were Flat Black Stencil Creme, Pink Flamingo, and Metallic Teal.
Stenciling pillows is a super easy way to add a custom accent to your decor. The bright colors of the Stencil Cremes really sparkle on the black velvet, and look soft and pretty on lighter colors.
Looking for more Fabric Stenciling Ideas from Royal Design Studio?? Here you go!
- Our African Plumes Stencil looks AMAZING on stenciled pillows too.
- Create your own custom stenciled table runners. A DIY stencil newbie shows you how!
- Stylish stenciled scarves make a great gift for a friend–or to keep for yourself.