The Encore Countertop System is a complete DIY countertop resurfacing system from SkimStone. The Encore system allows you to artistically resurface your existing formica countertops with an easy-to-apply, durable, beautiful finish in 3 days. Don’t replace-restore!
This Day 1 video will walk you through the steps for preparing your existing countertops for the Encore coating.
1. In the “Day 1” compartment of your countertop kit is the Encore Super Bond. Open the container and stir the contents until you have a uniform mix.
2. Pour out a small amount of Super Bond on to a back corner of the countertop, about 1/8 cup.
3. Using a 6” putty knife or trowel, apply a thin coat to the entire surface. For best results, keep your putty knife or trowel at a minimum 45 degree angle and feather while wet to achieve a tight finish.
4. This coat is meant to be a “scratch” coat. It will have scratch lines and chatter marks that will be filled in with the next coat.
5. Rinse your tools in warm clean water being extremely careful of the sharp edges.
6. Allow to dry a minimum of three hours or until the surface is dry to the touch. (Humidity may affect dry times).
7. Lightly sand the surface with 100 grit sandpaper. Remove sanding dust using a soft bristle brush or vacuum.
8. Begin in an opposite corner and apply a second tight coat of Super Bond to the entire countertop surface. This coat will be smoother and more uniform than the previous coat.
9. Rinse your tools in warm clean water being extremely careful of the sharp edges.
10. Allow to dry a minimum of 3 hours or until the surface is dry to the touch. Lightly sand the surface with 100 grit sandpaper.
11. Remove sanding dust using a soft bristle brush or vacuum.
12. Allow to dry overnight.
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS – Hand protection is recommended when working with Super Bond™.
Wear a dust mask when sanding and/or cleaning sanding dust.